Properly presenting your home for sale can significantly increase its value by tens of thousands of dollars. In a competitive market, it is crucial to stand out in order to enhance both the saleability and the price you can achieve for your property. Below, we have compiled a number of tips to help you effectively present your home to the market:
- Maintain the exterior: Trim the lawns and tidy up the garden. Creating a positive first impression is essential for prospective buyers.
- Revive the carpets: Consider shampooing the carpets to restore their brightness and appeal. You may be surprised at how much life they can regain with a thorough cleaning.
- Refresh the walls: Take a close look at the walls and remove any grubby hand marks or smudges. A fresh and clean appearance will significantly enhance the overall attractiveness of your home.
- Check the guttering: Pay attention to the condition of the gutters as they are easily noticeable to potential buyers. Ensure there are no leaves hanging over the edges, no peeling paint, or water stains. Additionally, take a moment to brush away cobwebs from the eaves.
- Organise the garage and shed: Clear out any unnecessary items that have accumulated over the years. Having clean and well-organised storage spaces is always a desirable selling point.
- Embrace natural light: Open the windows and allow as much natural light as possible into your home. Clean the windows and insect screens to maximize brightness.
- Set the scene with flowers: Consider placing flowers throughout your home. Flowers create a welcoming and pleasant atmosphere, making prospective buyers feel more at ease.
- Focus on the kitchen and laundry: These areas warrant special attention. Clean the oven, polish the sink, and ensure your cupboards are neat and tidy.
- Address necessary repairs: Take the time to fix any issues around the house. Check that all lights are in working order, replace any burnt-out bulbs, tighten loose hinges and wobbly doors, apply WD-40 to creaking doors and fittings, repair any cracked glass in windows, remove broken or old fly screens, and paint over cracks and patches on the walls.
- Declutter: Remove excess furniture such as chests of drawers, filing cabinets, and bookcases. Clear away ornaments, piles of paper, books, and appliances from countertops. In storage areas, take the opportunity to declutter and organise. Creating a sense of spaciousness will greatly appeal to potential buyers.
By following these tips, you can effectively enhance the presentation of your home, making it more attractive to prospective buyers and maximising its selling potential.